There’s no sound. There’s no color. There’s no smell. There’s no taste. It’s a poison lurking in your home.

Carbon Monoxide is a gas produced by burning gasoline, wood, propane, charcoal, or other fuels. Improperly ventilated appliances in a tightly sealed or enclosed space may allow carbon monoxide to accumulate to dangerous levels.

Statistics show every year 430 people die from carbon monoxide poisoning. 50,000 people visit the emergency room each year due to accidental carbon monoxide poisoning. You can help prevent carbon monoxide poisoning in your home by knowing the symptoms and taking a few steps to make sure your home is safe.

 

Symptoms

  • Dull Headache
  • Weakness
  • Dizziness
  • Nausea/Vomiting
  • Shortness of breath
  • Confusion
  • Blurred Vision
  • Loss of consciousness

Prevention Tips

  • Have your HVAC system, water heater, and any other gas, oil, or coal-burning appliances serviced by a qualified technician every year.
  • Install a battery-operated or battery-backup CO2 detector in your home. Test the batteries every month and replace them twice a year.
  • Get medical help if you suspect CO poisoning.
  • Don’t heat your home with a gas oven.
  • Don’t burn anything in a stove or fireplace that isn’t vented.
  • Don’t a generator, charcoal grill, camp stove, or other gasoline or charcoal-burning device inside your home, basement, garage, or near a window.